Flat roofs are defined as roofs that have a slope of less than 9.5 degrees (or 2:12 in roofing language). Flat roofs are designed to hold water that flows off the roof at a very slow rate, or in some cases ponds on the roof and eventually evaporates off.
Toronto Roofing Industries specializes in the installation of 2-ply SBS modified bitumen roofing systems for our residential customers. We are also proficient in installing other roofing systems such as EPDM and TPO single ply membranes and Liquid Rubber roofing systems, however, these systems are typically better suited for commercial and industrial applications.
Advantages of 2-ply SBS modified bitumen roofing systems
2-ply SBS modified bitumen roofing systems offer many advantages over other roofing systems.
- They are proven. Polymer modified bitumen roofing systems have been used in North America since 1975 and have stood the test of time. They are the most commonly installed flat system in residential re-roofing applications, and there is a well established labour pool of skilled tradesmen that are qualified to install these systems.
- They have superior physical properties compared to other multi-ply roofing systems. SBS modified bitumen systems outperform tar and gravel, and APP modified bitumen systems in tensile strength, flexibility at cold temperatures, and fatigue resistance (the number of times a material can be flexed before it fails). SBS modified bitumen is a rugged material that performs extremely well in the Canadian climate with hot and cold temperature extremes and expansion and contraction cycles from daily heating and cooling.
- Granulated cap membranes options are available offer a wide range of colours, resistance to wear from foot traffic, and solar reflective properties.
- They are cost effective. There are several manufacturers of high performance SBS modified bitumen materials in a highly competitive marketplace. This ensures commodity type pricing and continual advancements in technology to provide state-of-the art roofing systems at affordable prices.
- They are maintainable over the life of the roof. A 2-ply system can be reliably and cost effectively repaired to extend its life, thereby deferring the cost of re-roofing and decreasing the cost of ownership per year of roof life.